Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland #2) by Kristen Ashley

The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland, #2)The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Circe Quinn was ripped out of her world and plunged into a world where men hunt their brides, being taken without consent (rape) is accepted and expected with a man who claims a woman as his wife and to top it off it’s a warrior tribe. She falls asleep in Seattle and wakes up in a pen being held for the bridal hunt.

Circe is quickly but not easily captured by Dax Lahn, the King by challenge to the The Horde, the nation of Korwahk. Dax believe that with Circe by his side he will start the prophesied Golden Dynasty.

Separated by language, culture and worlds it is a small miracle that they even begin to relate to one another. Circe finds new friendship and companions to help her through this transition (did I mention she acquires a tiger cub)… Circe discovers she also has magic, magic she never new she had that reacts to her emotions. Circe's magic convinces the Horde that she truly is the Golden Queen of prophesies.

As always, with Kristen Ashley, this story was extraordinary. It captivated you, had you laugh, was brutal and heart wrenching and ran you throw the gambit of emotions through out. I was amazed at the strength of character the women of The Golden Dynasty demonstrated. That being said, this book was not for me. Rape, abuse, torture and brutal savagery was present in this entire book and for me it was unsettling and not something I would normally choose as reading material. I found the story line very similar to Daenerys Targaryen’s tale in George R. R. Martins A Song of Ice and Fire series, less the dragons but adding a tiger…very comparable. I also found the use of a foreign language during story distracting (I even had that complaint with Tolkien, so that’s just me). All in all, I appreciate the talent of Kristen Ashley and her ability to keep me reading even when I had the feeling I was watching something akin to an ultimate fighter in the ring…I hated what was happening but couldn’t look away. For that I’m giving The Golden Dynasty 4 stars, it really is a gripping story and even thought the subject matter distressed me it was an excellent story none-the-less.

Yes, I will be reading more in the series. Book 1 in Fantasyland, is definitely one of my all time favorites and I am hoping these women from the alternate world will be coming together to play an instrumental role in this new world.


Adult EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

No comments:

Post a Comment