Sunday, January 20, 2013

DEBUT AUTHOR - The Emerald Tablet by Joshua Silverman (Legends of Amun Ra, #1)

The Emerald Tablet by Joshua Silverman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Legends of Amun Ra: The Emerald Tablet is a good, old-fashioned battle between good and evil fleshed out with great detail and vivid scenes! The reader is given fantasy, sci-fi, action, adventure, betrayal, Egyptian mythology, and even a little romance! All this from a DEBUT author, who obviously loves his craft, does his due diligence and is gifted with storytelling!

I was not eased into the story, the opening pages are brutal, grabs you by the throat and squeezes, so to speak. The ending? I almost cried, I said to myself, "No. Way. Not. Fair."

Between the beginning and the end we are introduced to a thirteen-year-old boy, who, thanks to his mother's anthropological work, is onsite at a dig where an ancient relic, reported to have mystical powers, is uncovered. The boy, Leoros, is catapulted into another world that is both ancient and futuristic. His life there collides and intersects with the lives of all he meets, some destined for greatness, some for infamy and treachery. Sometimes the lines are blurred between perceived good and evil. One thing for sure, the story Never. Lets. Up!

The reading is straightforward, no mental translations needed, letting me sink deep enough into the story to be like a ghost in the room! I swear, I was there! The characters are many and memorable, each with their own varied personalities, strengths and weaknesses! They were real, believable!

There isn't a wasted page from start to finish and the groundwork for future books in the series is well-laid! I want to know what happens to these characters and where their fates lead them, so I'm definitely looking forward to the next book...and trying to be patient about it!

This book was provided by the author is exchange for an honest review and I thank him!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment