Friday, September 13, 2013

The Fire By John A. Heldt (The Northwest Passage, #4)

The Fire
by John A. Heldt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Publication Date: August 31, 2013
Publisher: John A. Heldt
Series: The Northwest Passage, #4
Number of Pages: 367
Genre: Adult Fantasy/Romance
Available from: Amazon

Description:
When Kevin Johnson, 22, goes to Wallace, Idaho, days after his college graduation, he expects to find rest and relaxation as his family prepares his deceased grandfather's house for sale. Then he discovers a hidden diary and a time portal that can take him to 1910, the year of Halley's comet and the largest wildfire in U.S. history. Within hours, Kevin finds himself in the era of horse-drawn wagons, straw hats, and ankle-length dresses. Returning to the same time and place, he decides to travel again and again and make the portal his gateway to summer fun. The adventure takes a more serious turn, however, when the luckless-in-love science major falls for pretty English teacher Sarah Thompson and integrates himself in a community headed for tragedy. Filled with humor, romance, and heartbreak, THE FIRE, the sequel to THE JOURNEY, follows a conflicted soul through a life-changing journey as he makes his mark on a world he was never meant to see.

My Review:
Once again, author John Heldt blends history, time travel and romance. Once again he has created another warm and wonderful read with his signature brand of writing! The Fire, at first glance, seemed to be a little lighter than his previous time travel romances, there seemed to be more of an adventurous spirit in his young hero, who makes a few trips back, knowing he may be interfering with history, but unable to avoid the pull. Over 100 years in the past, Kevin’s heart tells him he has found the girl of his dreams, he finds responsibility, he learns to care deeply about the people around him and what happens to them, and he becomes the man of another girl’s dreams.

Does Mr Heldt know something we don’t about time travel? I felt I was stepping back, physically and mentally, as if I was really there! The Fire has his same high quality writing style, smooth pace and that “in-the-moment” feel without using over-the-top drama and shock value. Kevin is one of those characters I just connected with, I liked him, I felt like I understood what made him tick. I got that same “solid” feel for Sadie, while Sarah and Andy, while great characters, seemed almost lightly veiled and dreamlike, like a fond memory already. I was even able to “revisit’ characters from previous books as they made cameo appearances bringing back fond memories as I thought of their unique time travel tales. The best part? It all flowed seamlessly and enhanced the fantasy!

After reading The Mine by John Heldt, I said,” Who says men can't write paranormal romantic Chick Lit????? The Mine by John A.Heldt has funny moments, sweet moments, sad moments, inspirational moments, and yes, sigh-worthy moments. I'm not trying to have the author's man card revoked, but, wow...” That comment still stands with The Fire, because once again, I felt ALL of those emotional moments, and once again, I had to reach for the Kleenex while reminding myself this is fiction, I'm not really there!

I definitely need to thank John Heldt for providing me with a review copy of this wonderful read!

No comments:

Post a Comment