Friday, August 15, 2014

Engraved by Karina Cooper (The St. Croix Chronicles #5)

Engraved

Written by: Karina Cooper
Series: The St. Croix Chronicles
Sequence in Series: 5
ISBN-13: 9781426898815
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication date: 8/11/2014
Rating: 4 Stars
Genre: Scifi | Dark Fantasy | Steampunk
Find this book on: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
Cherry St. Croix returns to the fog-ridden streets of Victorian London, where the balance of power threatens all that she loves.

I will not wither without laudanum. Sober and determined, I have chosen another way— alchemy, and the pursuit of wellness it embodies. My name is Cherry St. Croix, and though freedom is finally at my fingertips, I return to the blackened streets intent on righting the wrongs I'd left behind.

All is not well in London low. Caught in a war between gangs, men are torn limb from limb, and I am called on to ascertain how. The immoral Karakash Veil is no doubt involved, and Micajah Hawke, a prisoner in his own Menagerie, cannot soften the danger this time.

Armed with the alchemical arts I have learned, my ever present guardian, and what few friends are left to me, I embark on a campaign to rescue the ringmaster I cannot abandon, save the Brick Street Bakers from annihilation, and finally face that which frightens me the most—my own heart.

Book five of the St. Croix Chronicles

My Review:
Engraved by Karina Cooper

Cooper creates a spellbinding, dark fantasy that will leave you clinging to the pages.

Cherry is back in London after her forced sobriety. Dealing with life without the senses fogged by laudanum, Cherry is faced with unfamiliar broiling emotions and fears. Determined to save Hawke, she must push past those fears and emotions and tackle the Menagerie head on.

Engraved takes us to a new world, where magic, alchemical arts, power and greed invade a steampunk Victorian London. The story is complex with highly imaginative world that pops off the pages with extremely authentic feel. The story and life circumstance of the characters is dark.

I savored this journey into Cherry's world. I especially enjoyed her characters growth and struggles. Engraved is a wonderfully entertaining excursion.

I received this ARC copy of Engraved from Carina Press in exchange for a honest review. This book is set for publication August 11, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment