Sunday, August 31, 2014

Indexing by Seanan McGuire

INDEXING

Written by: Seanan McGuire
Paperback: 418 pages
Publisher: 47North
Publication Date: January 21, 2014
Rating: 3 Stars
ISBN-10: 1477809600
ISBN-13: 978-1477809600
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Find this book on: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
“Never underestimate the power of a good story.”

Good advice...especially when a story can kill you.

For most people, the story of their lives is just that: the accumulation of time, encounters, and actions into a cohesive whole. But for an unfortunate few, that day-to-day existence is affected—perhaps infected is a better word—by memetic incursion: where fairy tale narratives become reality, often with disastrous results.

That's where the ATI Management Bureau steps in, an organization tasked with protecting the world from fairy tales, even while most of their agents are struggling to keep their own fantastic archetypes from taking over their lives. When you're dealing with storybook narratives in the real world, it doesn't matter if you're Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or the Wicked Queen: no one gets a happily ever after.

Indexing is New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire’s new urban fantasy where everything you thought you knew about fairy tales gets turned on its head

IndexingMy review
Indexing by Seanan McGuire

I grabbed Indexing because it was a recommended book that I should enjoy and enjoy it I did.

The premiss is quite interesting. Fairy tales replay themselves time and time again over the centuries, without the assistance of the ATI Management Bureau the effects could be devastating to society.

A modern day fairy tale with a wicked twist.

I was completely invested in the first couple incursions but after after a few, I started to loose interest. I had really high expectations for the story but felt that some of it left me a bit confused while I also felt there was quite a few open ended plot directions. I do realize that this was initially released as a serial novel and I was given this story as a whole. Maybe this did have some effect on the fluidity of the story but as I said I received it as a whole and that is how I read it.

I did love the humanization of the characters, crossing everyday emotions with the essence...the heart of fairy tale. From evil step-sister to a piped piper, McGuire's devotion to the tales is evident.

I am a huge fan of the OCTOBER DAYE series and McGuire's writing, Indexing was good and enjoyable but didn't meet my expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment