Saturday, April 4, 2015

Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep (Black Blade #1)

Cold Burn of Magic

Written by: Jennifer Estep
Series: Black Blade
Sequence in Series: Book 1
Page Count: 368 pages
Publisher: Kensington -Teen
Publication Date: April 28, 2015
Rating: 5 Stars
ISBN-10: 1617738247
ISBN-13: 978-1617738241
Genre: Paranormal | Fantasy | Teen - Young Adult
Find this book on: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1)My review:
Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep

Cold Burn of Magic is an exciting, new, young adult series from Jennifer Estep.

Lila has lived secretly in the library basement for a few years now.

Her mother was murdered by a powerful magical family that saw her as a threat.

Little did they know they left behind an even greater threat...Lila, who has two very powerful magical abilities.

When the Lila inadvertently saves Devon, an heir to another powerful magical family, she is forced into protection duty. The magically families are fighting for power, they come across as a magical mafia, and someone is out to get Devon.

Ultimately, this is Lila's fight to survive this war. During this trek you meet the magical powers to be as well as a pet tortoise, a drunken pixie and some very unique and scary creatures.

Intense action, unexpected plot twists and turns and some romantic tension highlight this highly imaginative read. The story was not quite what I expected but I was still thrilled by the outcome.

I am very much looking forward to delving deeper into the Black Blade series.

I received this ARC copy of Cold Burn from Kensington Books - Kensington -Teen in exchange for a honest review. This book is set for publication April 28, 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment