Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Beyond the Fence by Jen Minkman (The Dartmoor Chronicles, #1)

Beyond the Fence
by Jen Minkman

My rating: 5 stars

Series: The Dartmoor Chronicles - Book 1
Publication Date: November 20, 2015
Publisher: Dutch Venture Publishing
Genre: YA Dark Fantasy
Print Length: 175 pages
Available from: Amazon
 
"People turn their heads when I walk past them. They know where I’m going. My feet almost stumble on the uneven pavement of the cobblestoned street when I sense Mark’s gaze on me. This is the only time he takes notice of me, and it’s for a reason I wish didn’t exist. All the other times I want him to see me, his eyes skip right over me. I’m a wolf in sheep’s clothes to these people. A potential threat.

I already know what will happen once I get to the Clinic. I’ll have to talk to that clueless psychiatrist so he can measure my possibly violent tendencies. Because that stigma has been on me ever since I turned twelve and the person I loved most in the whole wide world was Purged from this city.
My name is Sarah, and my father was a violence offender."

Return to the world of the Island series and meet Sarah, resident of Dartmoor City. She's bitter, she feels trapped, and she wants nothing more than to venture beyond the fence that's keeping her in. She just has no idea how to. But when she discovers a secret that President Jacob would rather keep under wraps, Sarah is forced to make a move for freedom - because she meets a guy who is even more of a prisoner than she is, and he desperately needs her help.
  

 
Beyond the Fence by Jen Minkman 
(The Dartmoor Chronicles, #1)

Beyond the Fence (The Dartmoor Chronicles #1)Fences, whether physical or mental will always cause at least one person the desire to be know what is on the other side. What if it is forbidden by the government? Why? Trapped within the walls of her island city, Sarah wants out. The question is how to do it, how to escape the confines of her world and discover the truth about what is Beyond the Fence. Jen Minkman is back with another tale about the dystopian world of the Island and it is every bit as mesmerizing as her other works!

Get ready to see this world from the POVs of two characters, Sarah, who is branded as the lowest, most dangerous cast, not by deed but by association. She is brave, willing to fight for the oppressed, for those she cares about and her curiosity is almost painful, as she has no idea how to reach her goal of the world beyond.

Kian’s POV is different, incredibly self-centered and clearly one who has no idea about the reality of life in Dartmoor, but he does have moments where his POV seems to be changing, but how easy is it to admit you may not know the truth about life? Then again, Jen Minkman is a confident storyteller who doesn’t feel the need to give us characters we like. She relies on her ability to make a plausible situation out of fantasy. Don’t expect to like the President, either, but do expect to love this dark tale, filled with detail and a high emotional pull, but remember, it is dangerous to show emotion.

Another fabulous book from Jen Minkman’s pen, that grows in confidence with each stroke!

I received this copy from Jen Minkman in exchange for my honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment