Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Special Holiday Guest Post from Louise Herman

Author Louise Herman requested a Spotlight on Tome Tender We are proud to have this talented author!!

If any of you have a question for Louise, please leave it in the comments section and she will respond!


 
Guest Post: Heroines Vs Damsels in Distress in YA Fantasy Novels


Introduction
Happy holidays everyone, and I hope you are enjoying the break.

I have decided to take a week’s respite from writing the third book in my YA urban fantasy series, Split Blood, to catch up with author interview and guest post requests. I am looking forward to discussing my thoughts and opinions on heroine’s vs damsels in distress in YA books and which type of females are in my books.

What my favourite stories were as a child

As a child, I was always being told off for being too inquisitive and wanting to get deeply into any task or chore, so to keep me quiet and busy my mother would always give me something to read.

She quickly learnt that I had acquired a taste for fairy tales, and she would have to listen to my enthusiastic opinions on Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast and Hansel and Gretel, which were my favourite stories.

I think that along with their magical storylines, I also liked that they had strong female leads who were not waiting for a prince to rescue them, like in some of the other books on my bookshelf.

I loved these attributes because the majority of my cousins who the same age as me were boys, and they taught me very quickly that even though I was supposed to represent myself as a respectable lady, I could still be a force to be reckoned with, and just because I wasn’t a boy, this didn’t make me weak (many trips to the pharmacist for plasters and bandages confirmed my tomboy side!).

 




The reason I made Faith a heroine lead in the first Split Blood book

I think it is due to these childhood influences that I decided to make Faith a strong female lead in my YA urban fantasy romance novel Split Blood: The Ancient Codex – Part One.

I wanted a character who had her own mind and was inquisitive, brave, adventurous, curious and determined, but was also feminine so that I could portray some of the perils that teenage girls face with sensitivity and understanding.


    



The future of heroines in YA fantasy books

I absolutely love YA fantasy books and especially like to read stories from fellow self-published authors so that I can show my support, but I would like to see more strong female lead characters who can survive if their love interests leave them.

I adore reading love stories that portray lead characters who are so deeply in love that they cannot live without each other, but I do not enjoy it when the female lead completely changes her personality, interests and needs so as to be at her love interest’s beck and call.

I am also getting a little tired of the female lead always needing to be rescued by her love. I appreciate the message of being ‘one’ in a relationship and always having your partner to turn to when you need help, but it would be nice if it went both ways in these stories, and not simply the male always saving the female.

Louise Herman Bio

Louise Herman is a North London Fantasy author obsessed with pear drops sweets and 80s Fantasy films.

In between reading James Herbert novels and drinking too much coffee, she writes Young Adult Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance novels.

Louise Herman has currently written five YA Fantasy books to date (December 2015); The Orcus Games Prequel Trilogy and The Split Blood series, which take the reader on a journey of magic, mystery, obsession and forbidden love with seductively dark consequences.

For more information, please go to: www.louisehermanauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment