Friday, July 1, 2016

Debut Author Christen Gillan's HAND ME DOWN Spotlight

Hand Me Down
by Christen Gillan

My rating: 4.5 stars

Publisher: Christen Gillan (May 12, 2016)
Publication Date: May 12, 2016
ISBN-13: 9781533245236
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Print Length: 234 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

 
Life has always been pretty easy on me. I wake up every morning, drink too much coffee, log in a few hours of work, relax and then start the process all over again the next day.

Like I said, easy.

Of course, like everyone, life has been known to throw me the occasional curve ball - just a little something to remind me not to get too comfortable. Because once you get to that point, where things have fallen into a routine of complacency, that Son of a Bitch called life comes back with a vengeance; ready to send his size 13 up your ass.

That’s exactly what happened to me the day that Alex Paige came back into my life.

He was different than the last time I saw him. Maybe he’d lost some weight or gotten taller– I wasn’t sure. All I knew was that something fundamental had shifted in Alex during the six months that he’d been away and I felt the compulsive need to find out what it was.
Unfortunately, that task was far more unattainable than it seemed.
Why, you ask? The answer is simple.
Alex just got a divorce.

From my sister.  

 
Hand Me Down by Christen Gillan

Hand Me DownSometimes hand-me-downs are just plain hateful and sometimes you find you just may fall in love with them.

Kate was only the messenger, but the cool stare and attitude she got from Alex Paige really wasn’t to be unexpected, after all, SHE hadn’t divorced him after getting pregnant with another man’s child that was her selfish, self-centered sister. But an errand done in protest became the unlikely beginning of a very unlikely friendship that could spell trouble for Kate’s heart.

Her sister took everything from Alex, so why should he give her the time of day? Because Kate is the polar opposite of her sister, the black sheep of the family, a free spirit hiding inside a recluse’s body, and someone has found the key to free her, or is she finding a new world that brings relaxed conversation, a little adventure and a lot of secrets to keep from her family, especially the drama queen whose hormones are even more out of whack than usual.

Hang on for a refreshing girl re-meets boy tale that is sure to bring smiles, and few good laughs as we enter the oh-so-earthy mind of Kate in Christen Gillan’s Hand Me Down. Where else could we find a reclusive gamer and a man she barely talked to when he was her brother-in-law find a common ground of friendship? It’s the simple things that make Kate realize how much she has missed as life passed her by in her little cocoon.

I could have gone on reading for hours, I was so entertained! I laughed, I felt terrible about events, I wanted to cringe and always I wanted a magical happy ending for these two, in spite of outside pressures, you know, like the parents and pregnant sister. What Christen Gillan gave me was a light read that went by quickly and left me feeling good! Sure, maybe I wanted a few things fleshed out just a tad, but, it was mostly just gossipy stuff! You want a heroine to adore? Meet Kate. Need a cool pooch who raises a little Cain? Meet Bowie! A fun read where the romance simmers on low and the heroine learns to take life as it comes and go with it! One more hidden gem for the pile!


Christen Gillan hails from a small town in the Appalachian region of Kentucky. Typically, she can be found with her nose tucked into a book or hunched over a pad of paper, undoubtedly jotting down another inappropriate idea persuading her to bring it to life.

In the off chance that she is not doing either of those things then she is definitely planted in front of a TV, obsessing over a sporting event - most likely college basketball. Other than her penchant for literature and sports, Christen is an avid music lover which is often depicted in her writing.

Hand Me Down is her debut novel. 


Connect with Christen
Twitter | GoodreadsWebsite

Updates on Hand Me Down + PLAYLIST



Hey all! Soooo... Hand Me Down has been edited, yet again. There's not a whole lot of changes overall, mostly a few punctuation and grammar mistakes but it's cleaner and more eye pleasing.

Also, I added the playlist that inspired me to write Hand Me Down inside of the book. Each song represents either a mentioned song in the chapter or inspiration for the chapter. You'll have to read the book to find out which. ;)

With that said, I'm going to post the playlist below. You can click on each song for an external YouTube link to have a listen. Enjoy!!!




 Hand Me Down: Playlist 

5.      Stinkfist– Tool
6.      Open Up – Korn

25.  I Found – Amber Run 

No comments:

Post a Comment