Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Crimson Death by Laurell K. Hamilton (Vampire Hunter #25)

Crimson Death
My Rating:

Written by: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (Book 25)
Hardcover: 720 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: October 11, 2016
ISBN-10: 1101987731
ISBN-13: 978-1101987735
Genre: Urban Fantasy | Paranormal Romance


“Hamilton is still thrilling fans...with her amazing multifaceted characters and intricate multilayered world, a mix of erotic romance, crime-drama, and paranormal/fantasy fiction” (Library Journal). Now, in her twenty-fifth adventure, vampire hunter and zombie raiser Anita Blake learns how far she’ll go to save someone she loves...

When Damian—Anita’s sometimes lover, servant, and friend—is kidnapped, Anita heads to Ireland. There she must face off against the vampire who created him. M'Lady, Moroven, Nemhain...under every name she brings terror and destruction. But Anita brings her own weapon to the party: Edward, the man known as Death itself...

Crimson Death  (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #25)Crimson Death by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita gets a call from Edward asking for her help with an Irish paranormal problem. They don't know what is causing it but Ireland, a supposed vampire free zone, has had a rash of vampire killings.

For the first 50% of Crimson Death they are discussing Anita going to Ireland, their relationships and feelings, their relationships and feelings, their relationship and feelings.

There are a few issues with Anita heading to Ireland. The vampire known as “the one who made him”, aka Damian’s creator and the ruling vampire in Ireland (an evil, sadistic, “bitch”) has lost control of the vampires. They are also consider that the fae magic may or may not be fading and that more vampires (the undead) are able to rise in Ireland with the lack of fae power on the land. Finally, there is the issue of Ireland having a peace keeper force and doesn’t believe in violence or executions for any reason, which includes vampires and paranormal creatures.

The idea of turning the Executioner and Death loose on Ireland just made me squeal with what ifs.

Once Anita hits Irish soil, they must figure out all the above. While Anita once again must wrangle her personal life, professional life and when those times when those lines absolute get crossed.

I’m going to preface my review by saying I have read every book in this series and have been a fan for years. Then I’m going to say, I wish I had just skipped the first 50% of this book and just read the second half. I almost gave up on a series that I have loved and that is a first for me.

What I didn’t like:
The dialogue was mind numbing and monotonous and went on and on for pages. Everyone had to discuss how they felt. It was like watching a B movie with actors that were over the top.

Brother husbands??? Jean Claude??? I can’t even process that one.

What I liked:
I liked both Damian and Nathaniel have come into their own.
I liked that Edward got some page time.

In the end, Crimson Death went back to the story telling that the fans have come to expect.

I received this ARC copy of Crimson Death from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for a honest review. This book is set for publication October 11, 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment